Monday, February 2, 2009

Recognizing One's True Potential...

I am wondering if, as parents, we sometimes hamstring our children's true potential. Do we try to protect them to a degree that we remove the valuable learning associated with failure? I see this all too often in schools - but perhaps I should turn my lens inward.

Perhaps the "Mama Bear" syndrome has taken over as I try to support my own daughter through the grief associated with losing her horse and opening her heart to love another.... and my son through his broken heart.

I never considered myself to be a "helicopter mom"... but when I see the pain in my own children some primal instinct boils to the surface that makes me want to heal their wounds.

And with that, I recognize that the greatest medicine is love - simple, unconditional, non-judgemental LOVE!

No comments: